Saturday 8 February 2014



Baked Chicory in a Ham wrap, with a cheesy sauce.


Let’s have a modern recipe for a change! I am betting very few of you have ever used Chicory as a vegetable and I was amongst you, but my friend Atty converted me!!!! I always thought it was very bitter and just a salad ingredient. But that is not true. It is delicious cooked and I love it!

The bitterness is in the core and when you take a thin slice off the bottom of the chicory, the core is exposed and with a sharp pointed knife, cut around the clearly visible ring and it pops out. Bitterness gone.

Chicory heads [often called endive].1 for a starter or lunch, 2 for a main course per person

Take off any loose outer leaves and remove the bitter core. Steam or cook the veg for about 30 mins in water with a little added lemon juice. Drain. Stand the chicory upright in a colander allowing all the moisture to leave. This is essential as you do not want watery sauce. When cool enough to handle, sprinkle over a little of the obligatory grated nutmeg, wrap each chicory in a slice of good quality baked ham, off the bone. [beware of added water and check, must be 100% ham]

Make a white sauce. Now I cannot tell you how much to make because it depends on how many you are doing. But allow ¼ pint of sauce for 2 heads. Just in case there is someone who doesn’t know how to make a roux [basic white sauce]  I will write it out for 1 pint quantity.

Melt about 1½ oz butter in a small saucepan, take off the heat and stir in 1 heaped tablespoon plain flour. Mix to a smooth paste. Gradually start adding 1 pint milk, a little at a time at first, keeping the paste smooth. I use a small wooden spoon for this but some use a whisk.
When there is no danger of lumps tip in the rest of the milk and put back on the heat, stirring all the time, until thick and bubbling. Cook through for a minute or two. This is your basic sauce. If you want it thicker add more flour, thinner less etc. Add cheese too for a cheesey sauce, mustard too.  If you can make this with your eyes closed!! - you can cook. Back to the Chicory.

Make up ¼ pint of sauce for every 2 heads. I grated in some cheddar and my usual sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Then I grated some fresh Parmesan over the top too.

Bake for about 30 mins at 200 deg C. Absolutely scrummy. Chicory tastes like a mix of white cabbage and leeks mixed together. With not the slightest hint of bitterness. Perfect with ham and cheese! Hope you try it and let me know what you think!!







No comments:

Post a Comment