Sunday 22 September 2013

Saffron Buns


This recipe has been in my family for generations.  It was used by my mother and grandmother before me.  Saffron has become almost prohibitively expensive - especially Valencian.  So I trawled the net some time ago and found a supplier [see below], whose prices are more gentle on the pocket.  I generally batch bake 3 x the basic recipe, making approx 55 buns.  Freezing the majority in bags of 6 or so. Perfect.

Take:
1 lb Strong Plain Flour
4 oz fat - half each, lard and butter
4 oz castor sugar
Currants to taste - please do not be stingy! Hunt the currant is no fun.
1 oz fresh yeast - or these days, I use the equivalent of Allison's Easy Bake yeast.
Saffron


Two boxes, inc postage costs less than £5. The above amount of 2 grams is just right for 3lb flour.

Place your desired amount of saffron in a barely warm oven to dry for half an hour. Lightly crush and tip into 9 fl oz of boiling water. Cool to tepid, then add a teaspoon of sugar and your yeast. Allow to start working and frothy.
Meanwhile rub the fat into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add a pinch of salt too and then your sugar and fruit. Make a well and tip in your yeasty, divinely smelling liquid. Using your hands [clean of course!!!] bring the flour into the centre and mix well. This will be pretty wet, but don't panic. When incorporated tip onto a floured surface and gently kneed for a few minutes, then place back into your mixing bowl and cover with lightly oiled cling film and allow to rise. I cannot give you an exact timing as it will depend on the air temperature and where you put it. But wait until it's double in size. Go and do something else! Tip back onto the floured surface and lightly kneed again for a minute or so. Get some scales with a plate on it. Prepare your baking sheet. Now you need to decide how large your buns need to be? The above were weighed out at 2 1/4 ounces. Of course, you do not have to weigh the dough out, but its nice to have them all the same size! Carefully shape them, always turning the dough inwards on the bottom. Place on the baking sheet, in rows and allow to rise for the last time for 30 mins or so. Warm your fan oven to 180. Cook for about 20 mins. Freeze as soon as they are cold, then to use, microwave for a few seconds and they will come out as if they were just freshly cooked.

Do you butter yours? Some do. I don't!

This recipe can also be used for Yeast Buns. Just omit the saffron and substitute sultanas for currants.
Enjoy!






8 comments:

  1. When a lad living in Camborne and going to St Ives on the train, I remember having tea treat buns. Are tea treat buns larger versions of this recipe or smaller versions of a saffron cake. Your advice appreciated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea treat bun! That takes me back. If I remember rightly they were yellow and very big but they were not same as a saffron bun. We only got the proper stuff at easter

      Delete
    2. As I remember tea treat buns are just large saffron buns,I don't mind if someone disagrees with me xx

      Delete
  2. As a cornishman living in Outback Australia, thank you for the recipe. I have been making them as a treat. Good tip on freezing straight away. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a Cornish woman who isn't a bad bread and pasty maker, but I have struggled to find a good saffron bun recipe. This one is just what I've been looking for. I've now made them several times, and frozen them and they've turned out well every time. Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, was just directed to your recipe and I'm going to try them tomorrow. Just a quick question, my 8 year old does not appreciate currants (or sultanas/raisins) so would it work to substitue in glace cherries? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. When using the fast action yeast do you still need to put it in the water or just add it to the dry ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete