Thursday 26 September 2013

Parsnip Puff


This is such a great recipe that I have been using for decades but I have no real memory of where I got it! I know I have passed it on to many folk and it is my husband's favourite veggie dish. It can be prepared well in advance, will freeze too, so it's a handy standby for any meal.

Place 2 lb of peeled and chopped parsnips [peeled weight] in some lightly salted water and boil until just soft. About 15 - 20 mins.

Drain, then mash along with:

very very large knob of butter
2 fluid oz of single cream
generous sprinkling of freshly ground nutmeg 
lashings of freshly ground pepper.
If very stiff add a little more single cream.

Beat 2 large eggs, preferably free range, organic with nice yellow yolks!

Beat quickly into the parsnip mix. Tip into a lightly oiled overproof serving dish.
Grate some fresh Parmesan over the top, sprinkle over some sweet paprika too and loads more pepper.
[freeze at this stage and take out a few hours before baking. Allow extra time in the oven too]
Set your fan oven to about 190 deg C
Bake for about 25 - 30 mins until the top is just golden.
This amount serves about 5 - 6 people.


No comments:

Post a Comment