Saturday 16 April 2022


Apple filled Almond cake with a Cinnamon topping


I have posted many cakes using apples over the years. But I can honestly say this is just about one of the best, So as I bid you all farewell for the summer I leave you with this delicious cake. I may well post the odd recipe over the summer, if someone hands me an irresistible recipe, but otherwise, I will be back around mid September. I hope everyone has the best summer, lots of sun for us, great holidays, lots of visiting rellies to catch up with after two or three years. 


You will need a 7 inch spring form cake tin, buttered and lined. Pre heat your fan oven to 160C


4 oz SR flour

2 oz soft light brown sugar

2 oz ground almonds

3 oz butter

1 small egg, beaten

a teaspoonful or so of lemon juice

a few drops of almonds extract


In a small mixing bowl, mix together the flour, sugar and 1oz of the ground almonds then rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the beaten egg and lemon juice and bring together. Tip into your prepared tin then sprinkle over the rest of the ground almonds.


1 lb of cooking apples, eg Bramleys

3 oz soft light brown sugar

1 teaspoonful lemon juice

Note: I started off with a tad over 1lb of Bramleys, but by the time I had peeled and cored was left with 13 oz.


Peel and core the apples, then cut into slices. Place in a bowl, then toss with the sugar and lemon juice. Now tip the apples over the almonds mix.


2 oz SR Flour

5 oz soft dark brown sugar

1 teaspoonful ground cinnamon

2 oz butter


In a small bowl, mix together the flour, sugar and spice. Lightly rub in the butter and tip over the apples.


Bake for around 1 hour 15 mins, but turn down and cover if browning too much. Leave the cake in the tin to cool, then sprinkle over some icing sugar to serve if you wish. I did not bother.


Enjoy. I have been posting new recipes non stop, weekly, since Xmas and before that from last September, and now it is time for a break. I will miss you all! Have a great summer time.



No comments:

Post a Comment