Saturday 15 January 2022

 


Prune and Treacle Bars


This amazing recipe was found by a follower, Sue, and the recipe was in an old book of her Gran’s which she found whilst emptying her Mum’s house after she recently passed away. The original recipe used margarine [not for me] and these days you can buy super soft stoned prunes, perhaps cutting out the need to boil the prunes for ten minutes. I must thank Sue for sending me this unusual recipe.


6 oz prunes

5 oz treacle

4 oz butter

5 oz sugar [I decided to use golden castor]

4 oz SR flour

2 eggs, beaten


[cook the prunes in boiling water for ten minutes, drain, stone and cut up]


Lidl’s prunes are super soft and stoned, so I will leave this bit out, except the cutting up of course. I chopped until the prunes were quite small, making it easier to cut the bars later, Melt the butter, sugar and treacle, then cool. Add the flour and prunes, then the beaten eggs. Pour into a tin…


Well, I think this needs a medium Tray Bake type tin - I used a 12 x 7 x 2 inch tin, well buttered and the base lined with parchment, with the long ends hanging over the long sides to help lift it out.


Bake for 30 mins. I plumped for 160C [fan]


Icing:


2 oz softened buter

4 oz icing sugar

1 tablespoonful treacle


When the cake is cold, spread over the icing and allow to set before cutting into bars [or squares]


Well, what a super find!! Yummy


No comments:

Post a Comment