Sunday 4 August 2019


Currant Bread


I love currants and I love yeast cookery. What a combination. This lovely, very old recipe below, makes two x 1lb loaves and was given to me by a friend a long time ago. The loaf keeps fresh in an airtight tin for a few days and they freeze perfectly. So very handy for unexpected visitors. You could use fresh yeast [1 oz] and place in the liquid to start working. These days I feel it is too much like hard work.

You will need 2 x 1lb tins and pre heat your fan oven to about 200C. I used my new 1lb box loaf tins with small holes in the sides and base. Love them!

1 lb strong plain flour
pinch salt
1 oz caster sugar
1 oz soft butter
2 heaped teaspoonfuls dried yeast [quick, easy bake]
½ pint warm milk and water mixed
6-7 oz currants [the original recipe says washed and dried!]
a little extra milk and caster sugar [or demerera]

In a medium bowl, place the flour, salt and sugar, then rub in the butter. Add the dried yeast and liquid and knead until smooth, at least 8-10 mins. I use a food mixer with a dough hook. Leave to rise for about an hour.

Knock back the risen dough and work the currants into the dough as evenly as you can. Divide into two pieces [I use scales] and place in your prepared tins. Press and leave to rise once more, for about 45 mins.

Bake in your pre heated oven for about 35 mins. Turn down a little after 20 mins. While they are still hot brush with a little extra milk and sprinkle over the sugar.

Will you be able to keep your mitts off the bread until it is cold, before slathering it with butter and digging in? I doubt it!

I used whole milk.


No comments:

Post a Comment