Monday 14 January 2019


Girdle Cakes


Very simple, basic traditional baking. Made in minutes and eaten HOT, split and buttered. I have taken this recipe from the old Be-Ro baking booklet. My treasured tattered old copy is pre war. Do you know these booklets were first published in 1923?

I don’t have a Griddle so used a large dry fry pan. And also used a fluted cutter, as the sketch in the booklet suggested.

8 oz Self Raising flour
½ teaspoonful salt
1 oz currants [I used a little more]
2 oz butter [booklet used marg]
2 oz lard
Milk [or water - I used half and half]
I added a tablespoon of caster sugar, but the booklet did not inc it]

Rub the fats into the flour and salt. then add the fruit. Mix to a moderately stiff dough with the milk and water mix. Transfer to your floured work surface and lightly roll out to about a third of an inch thick, maybe a tad under. Cut into rounds. Bake on a hot Griddle.  When brown, turn over and repeat. I baked the above for about 7 or 8 minutes each side but turned the heat down after a short while.

Allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Split and serve immediately, slathered in Cornish butter!! Wow.

Note: The above will make about 16 little cakes. Easily halved for a light afternoon tea treat.


No comments:

Post a Comment