Sunday 28 October 2018


Leeks in Red Wine


I love collecting different veggie side dishes and was thrilled when I found this in an old recipe book from the 1970s. Being Cornish, leeks are one of my most favourite veggies, I use them in pasties, [makes them so moist] and as for Likky Pie….. Another of my family favourites is chopped leeks just stir fried in a little oil with peas, for a tasty side dish. But this takes them to another level!! I cannot describe to you how brilliant they were. I used baby leeks, but ordinary are good.

Who was it who said that if a wine is not good enough to drink, then don’t cook with it! I have updated the recipe slightly to modern [and my] tastes.

Leeks, more or less the same size if possible and not too large
a little olive oil
1 oz butter
about 5 fl oz of a good, full bodied red wine
5 fl oz good vegetable stock [I used Marigold Veg bouillon]
Seasonings to your taste

Trim the leeks and make sure there is no grit between the top layers. Heat the oil and butter in large wide, shallow pan and lay the leeks, side by side. Gently turn them over until they are slightly golden on all sides. Pour over the wine and allow it to bubble away. Pour over the hot stock until the leeks are just covered. Season. I used a generous amount of fresh milled pepper and a small amount of sea salt. Cover the pan and let it simmer until the leeks are soft and tender. [see note]

Remove the leeks to a hot serving dish and boil the liquid rapidly to reduce to about a ¼ pint, then pour over the leeks.

I cannot tell you how scrummy these were, trust me!!  A wonderful side for so many dishes.
Not pasties of course!!!!  

Note: if using small or baby leeks, cut down on the cooking time. Once I covered the pan to simmer, they took no more than 4 or 5 minutes. But full size ones would take ten or more.


Another Note: This sauce is delicious. it is great as an accompaniment to meats eg steak and chops. Make extra to serve with the whole meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment