Sunday 25 February 2018


Cheese and Onion Pie


Simple baking, simple flavours, that marry well together making a great pie to go with a salad or even mash! Folk have been using cheese and onion together for quite a while! I have tweaked the original, adding another layer of flavour. Just perfect, trust me.

You will need a 7 or 8 inch round pie tin [or a large pie plate], well buttered. I like to lay a couple of long strips of baking parchment across the tin to help you lift it out.

Pre heat your fan oven to 200C

Shortcrust pastry or ruff puff? I opt for rough puff, making it stronger.

Half fat to plain flour, well seasoned, with sea salt, white pepper and mustard powder, and bound with cold water. I always use half lard, half butter. Chill before use.

You will need about 12 oz pastry, cut in half. [8 oz plain flour]

Line the base of your tin, leaving a little hanging over. Pop into the fridge while you prepare the filling.

Approx 12-14 oz very finely chopped onion. I used a mix - some red, shallot and a large sweet white onion. After chopping, pat as much water out of the onions as you can with kitchen paper.

8 oz strong mature cheddar, grated. Davidstow is brilliant!
Plenty of freshly grated pepper
Sea Salt - just the merest sprinkling or none at all
Large pinch dry mustard powder
½ a veggie Oxo, crumbled
Butter to dot
A dash of double cream

Mix all of the above together in a medium bowl and fill the pastry case. Press down lightly. Roll out the other half pf the pastry and make a lid, plus some decorative leaves if you wish. Don’t forget to poke a little hole in the top too.

Press the edges neatly together, brush with beaten egg and bake for 45-50 mins Turn down to 190 after 15-20 min.

I wish I had smelly vision here to pass along the wonderful aromas as it baked, not to mention tasty vision. Just wonderful. Have I mentioned that I love old recipes????

Best eaten warm [or barely cold] 



No comments:

Post a Comment