Wednesday 17 January 2018


Pork Sausage and Apple Pie


I was given this old recipe by a lovely senior lady from near Truro and it was in her mother’s old hand written recipe book. It can be eaten hot or cold and will happily sit in the fridge for a day or two and can also be frozen. You need no fancy equipment, just a flat baking sheet. You can also use bought “all butter” shortcrust pastry.

You will need about 8 oz of shortcrust pastry. I have given you my version many times. I added plenty of seasoning and some dry mustard powder.

A well buttered baking sheet and pre heat your fan over to 190C

10 oz best pork sausage meat
2-3 oz smoked streaky bacon, finely chopped
a sharp eating apple peeled, cored, finely chopped, like a Granny Smith
a small trimmed leak, finely chopped
2 heaped teaspoonfuls fresh chopped parsley
a beaten egg
seasonings to taste

In a medium bowl mix all of the above ingredients together, best done with your hands.

Cut your pastry in half and roll out a base until it is about 8 inches in diameter. Place your filling in the centre and shape into a nice mound, leaving about an inch around the edges. Seal the edges with some more beaten egg or a little milk. Roll out the remaining pastry and place over the top and press the edges together. Trim, making it nice and neat and cut off any surplus pastry. Press with a fork to seal it properly. Brush with more beaten egg and poke a little hole in the top. 





Bake in your pre heated oven to about 30 mins, then turn down to about 170C and bake for another 15 mins until lovely and golden. Cool on a rack and serve. Enjoy!

Just scrumptious and you have used no equipment. Made in minutes too.

Note: I am sorry that the photos are not up to my usual standard. The light this winter, especially since Xmas has been dreadful, with long dull grey days.  I only have a ordinary camera, point and click. 








2 comments:

  1. Its always good to learn tips like you share for blog posting. As I just started posting comments for blog and facing problem of lots of rejections. I think your suggestion would be helpful for me. I will let you know if its work for me too. long grain rice It is useful and get the full of information here student making a best websites and that full of information here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete