Wednesday 5 July 2017



ROCK CAKES


In the past these old traditional buns have often had a bad press, undeservedly so, in my opinion, because when well made, are delicious and not hard as the title would suggest. In times past, especially in Cornwall, raising agents were not used. Nowadays self raising flour is mostly used but this very old recipe of well over a hundred years ago uses just plain flour and no baking powder. They keep well too and are just as good the second day and beyond. The first time I made them my husband ate 4 right off. Trust me - they are delicious. 

Pre heat your fan oven to 160C and butter a baking sheet. This quantity makes about 18-20, but it depends on the size of your rocks!

1 lb plain flour
6 oz butter, softened to room temp
2 eggs
½ lb currants
½ lb moist sugar [soft light brown]
lemon essence [these days extract]

Place the flour in a bowl and rub in the softened butter [until it resembles fine breadcrumbs] then mix in the sugar thoroughly. Add the currants [the original tells you to wash and dry them!] and lemon extract. Stir in the two beaten eggs and mix the whole together with a wooden spoon. It will come together, do not be tempted to add any more liquid. 

Drop the mixture in lumps onto your well buttered baking sheet and bake for about 20 mins.

Cool on a rack and tuck in. Old style baking at its best. This took no more than 8 or 9 mins to prepare and is so easy.

Just lovely and so simple. Yum Yum.


Note: If you opt for larger buns please increase the baking time.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this recipe! I made it my mission this year to follow in my granny’s footsteps and start baking rock buns... coinciding with moving back to the village where she lived. I couldn’t find her version, and my mum isn’t here to pass it on either, so I was relieved to stumble across your blog. It’s been such a comfort amid otherwise somewhat chaotic circumstances - what a nostalgic aroma and flavour to recreate, time and time again. I intend to bake these regularly for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely like my mum used to make. Totally delicious. Thank you so much , have tried different recipes, this one beats the lot of them .

    ReplyDelete