Friday 21 October 2016



Liver and Onions Pasties


Our forebears didn’t just make the traditional Cornish pasty, they loved other fillings, especially dates, pork, jam, herbs and bacon. I have many pasty recipes from my old 1920s Cornish Recipes book and will make some more during the winter. But a firm favourite at tea time were little liver and onion pasties. Ann, from the famous pasty shop in The Lizard tells me that her mother, Hettie loved these and Hettie said they are good, hot or cold. After making them I agree!

Hettie stated that Ox liver should be used, but I prefer pork or lamb liver, but the choice is yours.

Pastry: Use rough puff.

for about 4 or 5 little pasties:
8 oz plain flour, 2 oz butter, 2 oz lard or Cookeen, [I love Cookeen]  salt and a little very cold water. Rub the fat into the flour, bind with the water, lightly knead for a moment then chill for at least half an hour.

Pre heat your fan oven to 200C

Thinly sliced liver, tossed in some seasoned plain flour, sliced onions, seasoning, inc some chopped parsley. I used a mix of red and white onions.

Select a large saucer or small tea plate for your template [these were 6” dia]. Roll out your pastry and cut according to size. More photos on my Blog.





Place a small rolling pin under the centre of the pastry to form your D, brush the edge with beaten egg, then place one layer of liver on the bottom, then some sliced onions, season, then repeat, so you have two layers of liver and onions.  Season again then sprinkle over a little more flour and scatter some parsley across the top. Continue as you would for ordinary pasties. Brush the tops with beaten egg and pop a little slit in the centre. Bake for about 40 mins, until nicely golden.

I was thrilled with these, as was my husband. Very moist and the most delicious flavour. Smaller ones with just one layer would be great party finger food. Delicious!






No comments:

Post a Comment