Wednesday 28 September 2016




LEEKY LURRUP


Don’t you just love the name of this tasty Cornish dish! The Larrup, I think, refers to when you “layer up” the pork and veggies. Just wonderful, as is this recipe from the WI Cornish recipes collection.  I am not sure why the recipe would suggest you only use the white part of the leek? The turnip will be swede, of course.

Pre heat your fan oven to 200C and grease a sandwich tin [pie dish?].  I will use as is suggested in the 1960s recipe but a pie dish would be good too.  I lay across the dish two long parchment strips to help me lift it out.

8 oz rough puff pastry
2 large leeks [white part], chopped
1 large [2 medium] peeled potato, sliced
1 slice turnip, cut into small slices
3 large slices streaky belly pork
Seasoning [inc parsley and a little veggie bouillon or cube]

I have given the basic rough puff pastry recipe many times, but for the 8” tin I used:
8 oz plain flour, salt and pepper, 2 oz lard, 2 oz butter and a little cold water to mix. Rub in the fats, then bind with the cold water and lightly knead until smooth, then chill for half an hour at least.

Line the tin with the pastry. Cut the pork into small portions then lay alternate layers of pork, leeks, potato and turnip, [but finish with pork] i.e. three layers of pork and two of veg. More photos on my Blog. Season each layer, sprinkle your stock cube over the top then cover with the remaining pastry and bake until browned.






I did decide to add some herbs, as you all know our forebears did love their parsley! and I am sure they would have used this as part of the seasoning.

Brush the top of the pastry with a little beaten egg or milk, then pop a small hole in the centre.

Bake for about 1 hour - 1¼ hours, depending on the size and turn the oven down after the pastry has browned.

Note: as it cools I think it looks just like a pasty pie - only pork, [probably because I just had to crimp it] with the veggies layered in slices rather than chipped. Great idea and it tasted just wonderful. I made this for Sunday lunch and my family loved it!  I took this photo about half an hour after it came out of the oven and there was so much juice! Heaven on a plate!

The recipe stated to use shortcrust pastry, but I feel it might be too crumbly to hold all the ingredients.



No comments:

Post a Comment