Monday 8 August 2016



Rum and Raisin Buttery Yeast Cake


When I first tried out this recipe, I could hardly believe how yummy it was. OH MY!! I love yeast cookery [have I mentioned that before??] and this is just the best. The egg content makes the dough very soft and brioche like. The kneading is not hard going either as the dough is fairly wet, although I made this in my mixer with a dough hook, then added the fruit and nuts afterwards. You all know I love ring tins, so thought I would continue my crusade to convert you all into using them more often. For this I used a silicone ring, bought on tinternet for £2.99 post free

Pre heat your fan oven to 190C and butter your tin of choice.

1½ teaspoons dried yeast
2 fl oz warmed milk
2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
9 oz strong plain flour
3½ oz softened butter
½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
about 3 oz plump juicy raisins
1 oz chopped almonds
2 tablespoons rum [or fruit juice, if you prefer]

Using a medium mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm milk, along with the sugar and eggs. Add the flour and bring it all together, adding the softened butter a little at a time, lightly kneading until it is glossy and smooth. Add the fruit, rum and chopped almonds. Leave to rise for about 1 hour in a warm spot, covered.

Transfer onto your floured work surface and lightly knead to knock back, then put to rise again, [see note] covered, for about 30 mins or so until nicely risen, then bake in your pre heated oven for about 30 mins until golden.

Invert onto a cooling rack, then dust with a little icing sugar before eating while still warm, with a smattering of butter.  Just wonderful.


Note: Roll the dough into a long sausage shape after knocking back and curl it around for a ring tin.

No comments:

Post a Comment