Monday 11 April 2016




PEAR AND CORIANDER CAKE with a hazelnut topping


This is an unusual cake, so delicious and very different, the coriander flavour is very subtle. It can be used warm as a dessert, served with custard or clotted cream, or cold as an ordinary cake. But there is nothing ordinary about this.
It was given to me some years ago by a Bridge friend, Ann. I will admit it takes a little time to carry out the prep and took me over half an hour to make. But it is well worth it.

You also need a pestle and mortar to crush the coriander seeds. Although I suppose a strong poly bag and a rolling pin will do the trick. If the stages are prepped in advance it is very easy to put together.

Pre heat your fan oven to 150C and line the base and sides of an 8” spring form tin.

2 large or 3 smaller pears, peeled, cored and diced
2 tablespoons brandy
zest of a lemon

Place the above in a small basin and set aside, for at least 15 mins.

Make the topping:

In a small bowl, place:
1 oz softened butter
2 oz plain flour

Rub in the above, then add:

2 oz demerera sugar [turbinado]
1 level tablespoon roughly chopped coriander seeds
2 oz toasted chopped hazelnuts

[I toast my own in a small dry fry pan - great smell as they toast, but watch them like a hawk]

Mix the topping together then pop into a fridge until needed.




Now you can make the cake!

4 oz softened butter
7 oz caster sugar
2 large eggs
8 oz plain flour 
3 level teaspoons baking powder
1 level teaspoon ground coriander [I crushed mine from the seeds]

Cream the fat and sugar, add the eggs, fold in the flour, bp and spice. Finally stir in the pears and brandy.

Tip into your prepared tin and level off. Sprinkle over the topping and bake for about 1¼ hours.

Just delicious. I used Conference pears.

1 comment:

  1. Made this and the Sour Cream Cinnamon Cake today. Now five recipes mad from these pages in the past week. I made a mistake in the preparation of this cake, with the consequence that the texture was not right. The taste, however, was everything that was promised, delicate and a combination I had never before tasted. The coffee cake was easy to prepare. I had it for breakfast with my morning coffee. Thanks again, from Canada.

    ReplyDelete