Sunday 6 March 2016


HOT CROSS BUNS


I made these delicious seasonal treats yesterday. They unfortunately disappeared in the blink of an eye but I did mange to hold my husband off until I took this photo!

I use my grandmother’s base yeast recipe. The same that has been tried and tested for over a hundred years, for saffron and yeast buns, with a few variations.  My mother used this recipe before me and my daughter carries on. I have posted the saffron and yeast before and I know many you have made them, since I started my Blog two and a half years ago.

So here is the Easter version! Makes about 12-14 x 3oz buns. Please feel free to adjust/add the spices and differ the fruit. Dried mixed fruit is good as well and I sometimes use that.

This recipe is very easy to double and triple [whole bag of flour]. The buns freeze like a dream, but you must freeze them as soon as they are cold. I put about half a dozen in a poly bag. Defrost each bun for a couple of mins in a microwave and you would swear it had just been baked.

In a medium mixing bowl, place:

1 lb strong plain bread flour
2 oz lard
2 oz butter
pinch of salt
1 - 1½ teaspoon mixed spice [you choose]

Rub the fats in until they disappear, then add:

about 4 oz caster sugar. By all means use less if you wish.
4 oz currants
2-3 oz finely chopped mixed peel
the zest of an orange

Meanwhile, in a jug:

9 fl oz warm water
a teaspoon sugar
1 sachet of dried yeast [or 1 oz fresh]

Allow the yeast to start its work, then when it starts to go frothy, make a well in the centre of your flour mix and combine the two, firstly using a knife, then your hand.

Transfer to a floured surface and lightly knead until smooth, two or three mins.

Cover the bowl and leave to rise in a warm spot. Timing will depend on the temperature. But around an hour or a little more.

Divide the mixture into about 12 [I use scales to get even sizes] and lightly shape, turning the ends underneath. Place them on a lightly buttered baking sheet and cover, then allow to rise once more.

Pre heat your fan over to 190C

The crosses. When risen, make a paste out of 2 oz plain flour and enough cold water to make a thick paste. Fill a piping bag with a small round nozzle and carefully add the crosses thinly.
Alternatively, just make a large X slash, with a sharpened knife or lamé.

Bake for about 20 mins. Allow to cool a little on a rack. To glaze or not to glaze? Do you want them sticky or not? 

There are many types but the easiest and my favourite is just brush on runny honey while the buns are still hot. But use it fairly sparingly.

Just yummy.


No comments:

Post a Comment