Wednesday 3 February 2016



HONEYED PARSNIP CAKE


I do enjoy different cakes, and especially those with veggies as the main ingredient, they are so moist with so much flavour and this is no exception. I have had this recipe, cut out from a magazine, for some time, but never made it until now. I wish I had made it before!! It is absolutely scrummy. As with beetroot, courgettes and carrots it makes a wonderful cake. This is a very easy recipe as well and I made it in a short time - most of it taken up with grating the parsnip. 

Line the bottom and grease well, an 8” round springform cake tin. I cannot see why you can’t also use a 2lb loaf tin or a bundt. Pre heat your fan oven to 160C

In a medium bowl, place:

6 fl oz sunflower oil
3 large eggs
4 oz light muscovado sugar
2½ fl oz runny honey

Mix well for 3 or 4 mins, until pale and thick. This is easiest with an electric hand mixer.

add 7 oz grated parsnip, peeled weight, mix well

finally add:

10 oz SR flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 oz desiccated coconut

Mix well, then tip into your tin and bake for approx one hour, checking after 50 mins and turning down if browning too much. Cool in the tin for ten mins before turning out onto a rack.

I have left this undecorated as the cake speaks for itself and needs no extra sugar. But you could split with some buttercream, or decorate the top. I do not think it needs it.



1 comment:

  1. This may seem like a silly question, but just to be sure before I start grating parsnips...your ingredients are measured by weight, correct? Not by volume? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete