Tuesday 26 January 2016



ZESTY COURGETTE CAKE


I love using veggies in cakes, it makes them moist and so soft and full of flavour. This recipe is “all in one”, so is made in a tick. I think I had this made, cooled and iced in less than an hour and a half. It can also be a sneaky way of getting kids to eat veggies! Courgettes are very easy to grate too. More veggie cakes over the winter!

you will need a 7” sponge tin, not too shallow, lightly oiled and the base lined. or - I used a nifty small bundt tin, bought a few weeks ago in Lidl for an incredible £2.49. Their baking bargains are just fantastic! Pre heat your fan oven to 160C

1 med courgette, washed but unpeeled, grated

Have some strong kitchen paper handy and place the grated veg on top, then fold it up and take it to the sink, squeezing out the excess moisture. It is now ready to use.

In a mixing bowl, place:

2 large eggs, beaten
6 oz SR flour
pinch baking  powder
pinch bicarbonate of soda
5 oz caster sugar
3 fl oz sunflower oil
the zest of a lemon and a lime

Mix well for a minute or two, it is far easier with an electric hand mixer. Now tip in your courgette and stir until well mixed. Tip into your prepared tin and bake for about 35 - 40 mins. Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then place on a rack. 

Meanwhile, juice the lime and mix with a little of the juice with icing sugar to make a lime drizzle. When cool, drizzle the lime icing over the cake. Just delicious. I also added an extra kick with Sainsbury’s excellent candied lemon, chopped and a little kore lime zest.

Absolutely scrumptious.

You can also make little buns with this mixture! Just adjust timings.




1 comment:

  1. I do enjoy veggie cakes - they always seem moist and very appealing. I'm especially keen when they're simple to make and this sounds simple enough even for me. I've used rapeseed oil in veg cakes lately. It might be a bit of an acquired taste especially if you use the stronger flavoured oil but I like it, even if I'm the only one.

    ReplyDelete