Sunday 25 October 2015

GOLDEN CAKE


This is a very special cake and I have been making it for well over 25 years and I have been racking my brain trying to work out where I got the recipe, but it’s gone. However, I do recall, I think, that it originated in Australia. It improves with age [don’t cut it on the day you make it] and is a great keeper. Up to 4 weeks in an airtight tin.

It does take a little prepping, but it is well worth it! Trust me!
Use an 8” springform or similar tin. I line it,  as a cube of the sticky marzipan may be on the bottom or sides.

4 oz dried apricots, chopped
4 oz dried or glace cherries
4 oz walnut pieces
5 - 6 oz cubed marzipan [small]
8 oz golden sultanas
1 large orange
6 oz butter
6 oz caster sugar
3 eggs
8 oz wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons milk.

Grate the orange zest and squeeze the juice. Chop the fruit and nuts etc. Cream the butter and sugar, until light and fluffy then add the beaten eggs, one at a time, along with a small amount of the flour. Stir in the remaining flour and baking powder, then all the remaining ingredients. Give it a good mix and tip into the prepared tin. Bake in a preheated oven 130 deg C for 1¼ - 1½ hours.

Leave in the tin for five mins then cool on a rack. So good! I guarantee you will love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment