Saturday 13 June 2015


FARMHOUSE CAKE


This is my favourite, easiest, yummiest fruit cake recipe. The milky smell is so comforting and feel good. It was given to me by an elderly lady, who lived in Ponsanooth about 25 years ago and I have been making it regularly ever since. You can adapt the basic recipe to add whatever you want, making it invaluable in my kitchen!

You can chop and change, in any way you want, date and walnut is good, cherry, blueberry [but not while you boil, add when cool],  instead of the sultanas. Add spices, or chopped apricots. Coconut too… you name it…. You can also change the sugar, altering the colour and taste again. Try muscovado!  If you omit the fruit you have the basic mix, then just go ahead and invent. I guarantee you will love it as much as I do.

This is a boiled cake mix and uses just one medium saucepan. I find it cooks best in a 2lb loaf tin which is easier to slice too. I line the lightly oiled tin with parchment, to help lift out the finished cake.


In a medium to large saucepan place, using proper measuring cups:

1 cup of sultanas
1 cup of caster sugar
4 oz butter
1 cup of milk [whole is best, but whatever]

Gently heat then bring to the boil. Leave for a while, until cool enough to add:

2 cups of Self Raising Flour
2 medium beaten eggs

Mix well and tip in the prepared loaf tin. Dredge generously with demerera sugar.
Bake in a preheated fan oven, 160 Deg C for about 1 hour.  ABSOLUTELY Delicious.




No comments:

Post a Comment