Thursday 10 July 2014



LAN’CEN PIE  [Launceston]


Once more I set off into the unknown, along with my old recipe book and commonsense. And once more there are few details to go by, so I will quote:

“Pieces of meat placed at the bottom of a pie dish, with salt and pepper”  tick. I decided to use rump, especially as it was on offer in Lidl. After trimming, I think it was about 12 oz. Of course I used sea salt and fresh ground pepper. But, I could not help myself! - I flash browned the pieces of meat first in a hot pan. It seals in the flavour, as I have been taught. You should always brown your meat! I also added a finely chopped shallot. Hey ho! I wonder why our forebears did not do this? Then placed them in the bottom of the pie dish.

“then sliced potatoes to nearly fill the dish, more seasoning and a little water”.
Well, you can see where this is going. I had to add stock. I love these stock pots.
So one of those will go in as well.

“Add a few small whole potatoes on the top and a roll of pastry as a ring of crust round the edge of the dish”. I decided to try an often used crust in the book, that I had used before cooking the old recipes. It really is good.

4 oz plain flour.
1 oz suet
1 oz lard
5 tablespoons very cold water.
Salt and pepper
Rub in the fats, add the water, form into a ball, then chill until ready. At least half an hour.

I sliced about 6 potatoes, thinly  [I have a very handy small mandolin - Oxo Good Grips, in Lakeland. Brilliant]  and layered them up as instructed on top of the steak and shallot. I used 3 layers, seasoning between each layer. After pouring in the stock I tossed some baby new potatoes in oil and placed them in the middle, on top, then rolled out the pastry and cut a hole in the centre to accomodate the baby potatoes. See pictures on my Blog. I then made a pattern on the edge to tart it up a bit and brushed the top with a little milk.

“Bake under a kettle in the open chimney” - I think I will pop it into the oven for about 45-50mins. I guessed at about 200 deg C, turning down to 190 after first 10 mins, then down to 170 for last 15 mins. In the end I left it in for almost an hour.

Footnote: The small potatoes on the top were just daft and made it difficult to cut through to get a proper slice. I will definitely make this again as the steak, sliced potatoes and pastry were just beautiful. [is this down to the stock?!!] My husband loved it. I was delighted with the tasty and easy pastry. It has been added to my own base recipes!!









It was good in fact. Not sure about just water for stock though. I apologise to the folk of Launceston for calling their dish daft!

NOW I have returned [a couple of weeks later] after making this Pie once more. This time as per the FB photo, without those silly small whole potatoes. I just made up the crust and rolled it out to fit over the top, then trim, after adding the sliced potatoes. Don’t forget to season between each layer. Just delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment